Sunday, May 30, 2010

The Montessori Way

A friend of mine recently introduced me to the Montessori methods of teaching, and between talking to her, visiting one of their schools, and flipping through a book about their philosophy, I became inspired to make my art materials more accessible to my kids. We have a large desk in the nursery that previously had been holding baby books, photo albums, etc, but I converted it into an art desk for Rebecca, complete with crayons, markers, colored pencils, many different scissors, tape, construction paper, stickers and stamps. The above picture looks a bit cluttered, which I will have to work on since a nice clear table space is sure to inspire the creative process more than a cluttered one, but you get the idea. When I surprised Rebecca with the assembled art desk, she got so excited she set to work almost immediately. The following pictures show what she came up with. At top is a pop-up book, the middle is a purse, and at bottom is a dolphin.
For Elliot I made room for a little table and chairs that we purchased from Ikea a couple of years back, which I set beside our drawing easel. As Elliot is demonstrating in the below picture, the easel can also be used for hiding things! Of course I should have known that once Elliot saw Rebecca at the big desk, she too would want to sit on the big chair, so she too gets her chance to make use of the new desk.

No comments:

Post a Comment