Thursday, February 3, 2011

Paper Princesses

During our most recent trip to the public library, we checked out a book entitled, The Paper Princess by Elisa Kleven. The book is about a young girl who creates a paper princess who is then separated from the girl by a large gust of wind. After many adventures, and after finding hair for her own head (the young girl hadn't yet added hair to the princess when the wind carried her away), the paper princess is returned to her maker. After reading the book, my girls and I decided to make paper princesses of our own. Using the book as a guide, I drew the outline of three princesses, brought out the crayons, pencils, and markers, and let the girls decorate their own princess. And yes, I did one too. Then I took out the glue and cut lots of strands of yarn, ribbon, twine, etc, and I let the girls choose which medium they wanted to use for hair. Finally, I cut out crowns from tin foil for each princess. It was great fun, and the girls have been playing with their princesses ever since. We even went so far as to make beds and pillows for our princesses, just as the girl does in the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment